top of page
  • halkidikiskipper

Day 17 – Finikas, Syros

Day 17 is back to Finikas, firstly because it’s the best stop off point back to Kythnos, but also because it’s a very safe place in a blow, and we have strong winds forecast for tomorrow.  We left tinos at about lunch time from our side too berth,  which with the wind blowing us onto the quay meant we had to use a stern spring line to ‘spring’ the bow away from the quay.  So you undo all the lines apart from the stern spring line which you need to have as a slip line.  In our case the point we had used was a metal railing which was to far away to make into a slip.   However there was a metal bench closer which was conveniently bolted to the ground (one assumes to prevent theft).  That’ll do I thought.  So secured to the bench I put the boat into reverse turn in towards the quay and out the bow goes.  Once it’s out, into forward and off we go, Ellison slipping the spring line add we leave.  All OK 😊😊😊

Think I mentioned before about tinos being the M25 for ferries, and indeed this again proved to be the case when we left.   There was one ferry in, another arriving and a fast ferry on the way.  So we waited for the first ferry to leave and the fast ferry to arrive and leave (takes about 10 minutes) then made a dash for the exit (piccies below).

There then followed the best sail so far on the holiday, a broad reach (about 120 degrees off the wind, so almost downwind) all the way.   I put the main sail up (you have to turn into the wind to do this, which in our case meant pretty much aiming back at tinos, then once it’s up turn back on cpurse.   With just the main we were doing between 5 and 6 knots, not bad.  Then I just let some of the genoa (sail at the front) out as an accelerator, probably about 2/3 and we did over 8 knots most of the way. Once we got almost all the way across the south coast of Syros the wind changed and we were close hauled (as close to the wind as you can get), in fact we were too tippy and what happens with a big yacht is rather than capsize they lose steerage and turn into the wind coming upright add they do so.  All rather convenient.  The solution is to reduce sail, but we were only a mile away so we put up with being over powered until it was time to take the sails down.

Once in the harbour it turned out there was no room in the inn, Finikas being a safe place everyone and his dog had come in before the forecasted wind arrived.  So we anchored off with Fineas and had probably a few to many before going ashore for dinner.  After dinner we got back in the dinghy, started the outboard, which ran for about 15 seconds then packed in.  Couldn’t get it started.  So we rowed back to Fineas, pretty easy if was down wind in what was now a 20 to 25 knot wind.  Once at Fineas I tried in vein to start the b***ard outboard.  We then discussed the possibility of Ellison and I rowing back to Danae against the wind in the dark and decided we would probably end up on Paros, Crete or Africa.  Thought I’d have one final dabble with the outboard before taking Fineas up on their offer of a sleep over.  Removed the cover and once again the plastic fuel tank looked empty with a torch light.   Filled it up and hey presto it started.  😭😭😭😭  Lesson learnt, this outboard had an incredibly small tank so I’ll be sure to check every time before we leave the boat.

Finikas is a lovely little harbour and whilst it doesn’t have the wow factor of some of the other places we’ve been we had a lovely evening.   Here’s a couple of pictures of Finikas in the sunshine.

Yammas!

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page